Thursday, October 11, 2007

Diary Entry

Phew! It's been a long day and the funny bit is that it aint over yet!! The day started at 4 in the morning (11th October) and let me add, not on a very pleasant note. The office cab driver decided to snore a little longer with the office gaurd to give him company! (Whoaaa! That is scandalising- the gaurd and the driver sleeping together- WINKS!) (For all those, who don't know- I do the breakfast show on Fever 104, Delhi and I gotta reach the office by 5 in the morning and the office cab comes to pick me up!)

So there I was at the road looking for the cab and the driver. I wait, wait and wait some more and when there is no sign of him for good 15 minutes, I decide to call the office gaurd up and ask about the driver's whereabouts. The gaurd responds after an eternity, calls the driver up, wakes him up, the driver brushes his teeth, sits on the pot and finally appears after ONE fregging hour. Boy he has some luxury I tell you!

Damn! Can you beat this- I was left high and dry for 60 minutes on the street! (I could say one hour too- but 60 is always greater than 1, you see).

And the day hasn't ended yet. I had work throughout the day, a press conference to attend in the evening and finally I had to record an interview with AR Rahman in the night. He is quite a night person, you see, and prefers to compose, sing, record and do a whole lot of obvious things only in the night. ;) So that explains the interview in the night!

So the official lark of Fever 104 (that's me) meets the musical NIGHT-ingale. (I was so itched to write OWL, but that sounds a bit derogatory for a genius like him.) The interview went pretty fine without any major faux pas. (You can actually catch the excerpts of the same in the morning between 10-11 am- 12th Oct 07).

But to be honest, I was a bit nervous. Actually I am usually not nervous, coz I love people and enjoy talking to them and it doesn't really matter much to me if I am talking to Amitabh/Rahman or any big shot. I respect them for what they are and their repertoire of skills and work but their stature doesn't shake me in my boots. It's like probing a bit more into their body of work and having fun, like I would have a buddy chat with my siblings or friends.

But this time I was nervous coz right across me, I could see a collage of faces and palms sticking on the studio glass; the CEO, the station head, the programing head, my producers, the music manager, the other jocks, the engineer, the coffee maker; you name it and I had it- EVERYONE, breathing down my spine, looking at me hawk-eyed. Despite my layers of clothing, I felt stark naked!

Today I understood the real meaning of the proverbial "Sword of Damocles". AR Rahman was my meal and my colleagues were daggers of all shapes and sizes, dangling on my head. :)

Anyway, the interview was pretty neat. I am quite satisfied with my performance, considering the pressure cooker that I had become then. And now I am just three hours away from my show and preparing for the same! Just stole a few moments to post this happening day of my life, which hasn't ended yet.

My mind is actually throbbing with calculations right now and not that I scored a whopping in my Mathematics exam, but from 4 in the morning (11th Oct 07) to 11 in the morning (12th Oct 2007), it makes some 31 odd hours and I worked at a stretch!

ARE MY BOSSES LISTENING?

zzzzzzz....

2 comments:

Pd said...

I am sure your bosses shall listen the 'zzzzz..' part in the end. They are an expert in knowing that bit and ignoring the hard labor.

Lokesh-ious RJ writes said...

pd-
oops! i hope not!
:)