Friday, December 7, 2007

Diary Entry

My mom is talking to my nani on the phone who is schemingly hissing some fancy ideas of my marriage into her vulnerable head. I smell the rat and quietly sneak out of the house.
I must have hardly walked half a kilometer that I walk past three marriage processions on the road. How ironical! The shadi wala buildings look gorgeous, dolled up in strings of neon lights, roses and mongras. Suddenly a rocket shoots up in the sky. I crane up and witness an explosion of a thousand stars with a VIBGYOR of colors. Suddenly a smile shines on my face. I love fireworks. (No pun intended!) I guess it's only the festive vibe of weddings that can convince me into getting married!
So before I shake from my resolve I head towards Durga mandir park, my favorite get away in the evenings. I rest my bums on a bench and do my favorite thing- THINK!
The entire day replays in my mind. A lot of people since morning has tried talking marriage into my head and I love them all for their concern but I ain't convinced enough.
I think marriage is one of the most overrated institutes in our country. No matter you have a job or not, no matter you are responsible or not, if you are 25, you should be married. I don't want to sound too cynical about such a pious institute; just that I am not prepared for it yet.
What is marriage anyway? In one word, it's companionship, like they say during wedding vows- "together in health and sickness."
But for me - me, myself and I are my best companions and trust me that's not a polite term for LONER! I love my evening walks into the sunset, my quick trips to the terrace to practice my Oscar Speeches and my ever so quiet moments with my favorite books. I even go and watch movies alone and I simply love the fact that I have no one to fret and fuss over the biggest reason of war in every household- TV remote. So for me it's aloneness (solitude) than loneliness...(Gawd! there comes my masters degree in language handy!)
But I will be honest with you. No matter how much I value my privacy, I do miss a good company over the weekends. But it's more of missing a friend that a life partner!
As I keep thinking about this, I get restless and stride back home, my mind pregnant with marital thoughts (I actually wrote martial instead of marital) and I see yet another marriage procession with the groom mounting on the horseback and the Sindhi band's trumpet playing--
"yeh desh hai veer jawaano ka, albelo ka mastano ka..." just the right song to play before the veer jawaan is sold into slavery.
And if that wasn't enough, I reach home and encounter my mom.
She frowns at me and sees away- towards her dearer offspring- Sony TV, where a 64 year old Amitabh is getting married to a 34 year old Tabu and singing in the UK- Cheeni Kum hai, cheeni kum hai...
And suddenly Enrique's song plays in my mind in a truly different context-
"You can run you can hide but you can't escape..."

14 comments:

Pd said...

and I laugh the sadistic laughter. Welcome to my side of the world!!

Lokesh-ious RJ writes said...

pd- haw!! :)

Ameya said...

Excellent post mate... Well, mind of a single 25 year old! Completely agree to the ending too - '...can't escape...'

~a

Lokesh-ious RJ writes said...

ameya- hey thanks a lot for dropping by. i love to read comments on my posts. hint hint...:)

Usha said...

:D that was some post I could empathise with..
came here bloghopping.. n dude, u've got a pretty neat blog here! :)

Lokesh-ious RJ writes said...

ushaaaaa!
thanks re. o love bloghoppers! :) keep lurking! I love it!!
Lokesh

Anonymous said...

yeh ladoo na khao to problem hai...khalo to problem hai!

better taste everything in life.as you get just one life to live.

Dare u forget to send me an invitation card else you will be killed before you even taste ur suhaag raat!

Lokesh-ious RJ writes said...

aastha-aaaa...babes u have scared the little mickey outta me...i will surely send u the invitation...but if u won't make it from the londons of the world...then WAIT and WAAAATCH! :)

Unknown said...

Now that u have put this topic on ur blog...let me use this (or atleast try to) to convince u to get married...I am hoping that my fellow bloggers would support me...
Marriage is more than a companianship...its abt being next to each other, compliment each other, support each other, understand each other and feel secure with each other...
Marriage is not abt taking away the individual's space away...its about sharing each other's space...
U can enjoy walk alone..but have u tried walking with someone beside u? U can watch movie alone..and cry alone while watching TZP or Raju Chacha...but whats wrong in having someone holding ur hand at that very moment..not to stop u from crying...but cry along with u...
Every facet of life brings in a change to which one needs to adapt..for a better future...to move on....the same applies to when u change a job...when u change a city...u adapt....then why not be open to the idea of adapting when getting married...
Trust me Bro...Marriage is not about losing identity...but to have someone sharing ur identity and vice versa..
My fellow Bloggers....lokesh ke liye koi achi dulhan ho to batao :-)
love
sanju

Sushma said...

Loki !! I can't wait for the day when you will actually have some 'mandir ke peeche wala conversation'

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Goddddd...
I just felt somebody read my feelings sooo accurately n posted it as blog...everything from being called lonely by others but feelin to be in a state of solitude.. to having so many things to do, just being wid urself, to being afraid of the daily commotion (fights!) a married life brings wid itself..
I mean, it just felt I was talking to myself in the mirror :)
N then comes ur bro's comments.. hahaaaa.. typical of all Indian parents n siblings :)

Lokesh-ious RJ writes said...

hey sush! indeed!

teena---
I am so glad u related with the blog! this is the best comment i cud get for this one! tenkoooo!
:)
L

Karachiite said...

:D omigosh! us din bday party thee, aaj seems like baat pakki party hay!! :D

but honestly speaking.. marriage is a must..

frankly, koi dost bhee aap ke ansoo baant sakta hay, lekin phir dost tou buhut sare hotay hayn, spouse aik hi hota hay!! :P

if i give you my example u r gonna kill mee.. heheee but marriage took me out of tht depression!!
ps, reading ths post as theres nothing new!! :(

Unknown said...

thats what i call Mid-age crisis!