Monday, May 19, 2008

Happy Birthday SID!

Gawd he is celebrating his 28th birthday today...and I am smiling my big shark smile. I am sick and tired of running into 18-20 year old interns in our office and it gives me a lot of sadistic pleasure to know that some one, miles away is ageing as fast as me. Teehee!

Sid is not only my best friend, he is my simian twin! I don't remember our first moments of friendship but it started in the classroom (6th), budded during games period and was a full bloom when we passed out school. Sid and I hated sports. When the entire class played football, we stood behind one of the goal posts, under a tree, wow-ing at the crawling black ants and counting wild mushrooms around. Our discussions as irreverent as our mutual crush on Sri Devi and as stupid as the number of hair strands in Sir Vijay's moustache.

Then there were art classes. We both were the Michael Angelos and MF hussains of our class. Though Sid was good. He was bloody good man. Art runs in his blood as aunty ji is an arts teacher. Sid always helped me in the subject. I had a wild imagination and he helped me put it on canvas. I can never forget those wintry mornings when we spread across the lush green grounds of the Army public school to participate in NAFENS, a poster making competition. I loved using his colors and he never fretted. In fact he gave his final touches on my painiting after he was done with his.

And then there were afternoon fridge raids at his house. Aunty ji caught her siesta in the background and we roasted Britania slices, all red and crispy, slapped it with sinful layers of cheese and stuffed it with some irresistable Haldiram namkeen. And as we gobbled the most unhealthy snack of the world, the microwave made some frog-hopping sounds in the background popping some really delicious corns. Sid's lunchbox too holds a vivid picture in my mind, a white one with a colorful cartoon character on it. And the insides were more interesting than the outsides- world's best French fries that could give any Mc Donald's or Nirula's a run for their money.

Prima facie it might appear as yet another stupid silly childhood friendship but to me it means so much more- a sense of belonging, a feeling of acceptance, amazing compatability and most of all a large-hearted gem of a friend- Siddharth!

Love him to death!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SID!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good gosh!..This is the best birthday gift ever..only you, Lokesh can think of such a creative, touching and forever lasting gift. I am grinning from ear to ear, it is all so true! I don't think anyone else could have decribed our childhood memories as eloquently as you did! Miss you very much!

Lokesh-ious RJ writes said...

siddiiiiie!

thanks a tonne for leaving a comment. i love it. i mean u r the only person i was desparately waiting for a comment...coz the blog is abt u (duh) and now when i have got it..it feels nice...i miss u loads...and i so wanna meet u soon.

Gari said...

hey..!!
u wryt grrrt..!!
jus luved d way u portrayed ur childhood memories...u made me remind of my silly yet so wonderful experiences...i cud easily imagine sid's whyt lunch box full of fries n worlds most unhealthy food..[:D]..it seems u hvnt grown up nuff 2 let dese precious memories go off ur mind...[luk for me u not et ol ageing..(:P)..]

it was d frst tym i popped up 2 ur plc..had 2 go to my frn..got stuck to ur blog n din leeeeev it..kept on readin..n nw shz gnna kill me..[:(]

buh it was a vry nyc tym here..wil wait for more..keep goin d way u are..
god bless..!!

Gari said...

n yeah....CHEERS TO UR FRENSHIP..!!....[:D]

Niti said...

Hey Lokesh,

This is for the first time I'm commenting on anyone's blog. You're the only RJ I listen to on my way to office and trust me didn't miss even a single episode of your Nepal treasures. ;) Out of all the blogs I loved this one the most. I really appreciate what all you do despite all the tensions in the air. This one got my special attention mebbe cos my B'day falls on the same day as ur best buddy Sid. May your friendship lasts forever. Take care! :)

Regards,
Nitika

Lokesh-ious RJ writes said...

hey garima n niti!

thanks for ur wish for our friendship man...means a lot! :)

garima, i haven't grown up i know...but guess what i don't even intend to for next 50 years, teehee!

niti- first of all i m so glad u caught all the nepal episodes...so r u tempted to check nepal out?? and secondly wish u a happy bday...i know i just missed by a couple of months and a few days :) heeeeeee!

Niti said...

Hey Lokesh its said that its never too late to wish. So thank you very much for your wishes. As for Nepal, hmmmm...I must admit I have this adventure streak in me and after listening to bunjee jumping and other fascinating sports out there..U guessed it! I'm not too far away from going there. ;)

Okay thats for the reply...N there's l'il crticism coming your way now. I really didn't like today's episode of Balle Balle Delhi. Why? is the next obvious question. Its because today you did too little of RJying and there were tonnes of stupid advetisements inserted in. Was waiting for my favourite RJ to speak a l'il more and play some good numbers but could listen to just 2 songs on my way. Sorry for the criticism but then I'm sure you'll take it in a healthy manner and otherwise you're SUPERB always!!!! Keep rocking!!!

Take care,
Niti

Lokesh-ious RJ writes said...

niti
i love such criticism...just need to fwd this comment of urs to my boss! hehehe
:)

Niti said...

Hehehe. Please forward it to your boss. It'll atleast be sorta reality check to them! Now lets not use this blog to communicate. Its for your friend Sid. Let comments pour over for him and not you and Fever 104 here. Zip zap zoom...

Vishu said...

Hey Loki, these were so wonderfully expressed childhood memories, wow.... felt like i was one of the friends too, a part of all this, making painting for poster competition, the french fries...yummmmyyyyyyy and popping Microwave..God bless your friendship. By the way I have created my account here now, my first post was Anonymous sorry about that, but I did mentioned my name there. I am your FAN from Lajpat Nagar-I, Vishal Soneja the Graphics Designer you visited on May 2nd.

You'll see more of me here now, will check this blog very often now to experience your excellent writing skills.

Lokesh-ious RJ writes said...

Thanks again Vishal!

L